Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.
Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why did God have to call me to be a FREAK???

In my last post I had mentioned how I never wanted to home school.  I just wanted to clarify that I would not change it for the world!  I have seen such wonderful things with my girls....things and experiences I would have missed had they been in school.  It was rough at first for sure...trying to figure out what curriculum worked, figuring out a schedule that worked for us....and all that changes every year!  I used 1 curriculum and LOVED it for 3 years!  Last year not so much, so now I am back figuring out what to do for this next school year :-)  Plus with 3 kids...one might work well for one, but not the other.  That is one nice thing about home schooling...you can cater to your kids individual needs!  Which is where I am finding myself in my current struggle....which will be a later post :-)  (See what I am doing?  Building up suspense for this "later post"! LOL)

So why did I title this post...Why did God have to call me to be a FREAK??? 

I am not sure about all of you....but I was not what one would call in the "popular" crowd growing up!  I explained to my husband once....I have spent my WHOLE life trying to "fit in" and then God calls me to be a freak!  Why couldn't God call me to be NORMAL???   Now, I totally understand my thinking was worldly...and I should not be trying to "fit in" to the world....but even in the church (sad to say) there can be "clicks" and such.  Also, which I didn't realize until I started home schooling, there are a lot of people NOT supportive of home schooling at all!  So yet again I am not on the "in" crowd...in the world standards :-)

When talking to people who don't believe in God, they really don't understand my reasons to home school.  They don't understand the whole "I felt this was what God was calling me to do" thinking.  They DO understand my NON-religious reasons though :-)  My middle daughter Logan has ADD/ADHD...I am not very big on the medications for that!  I have seen the medication do some really bad things in kids with ADD/ADHD, and I didn't want that for her.( don't get me wrong, I have seen the medications help a lot of kids too)  I have been able to regulate her pretty well through supplements and diet, but she would still NOT survive in a class room setting!  At home we can do 5 math problems and she can go play for 5 minutes, then do 5 more problems and so on.  We can do a lot more "hands on" work which will keep her attention better.  Nothing against the school, but it is hard for them to help 1 kid when they have 20 kids in the class room.  Then if she were too disruptive they would put her in a "special ed" class...and what would that do to her self esteem?

Alright...I feel like I am getting off topic :-)  Back to me being a freak :-)  (I know that statement is not shocking to some) In my earlier post I had mentioned that I had my own plans for my life.  I was going to have the "normal" family life....kids in school, I was going to go back to school, be home in time to have warm cookies ready for the kids when they got home from school, yummy dinner, then homework :-)  Sounds PERFECT doesn't it?  Well perfect in my mind :-)  Although my new plan is...go back to school when Cuckles goes to college!  She will TOTALLY love that....mom going to school with her :-)  Talk about a kid needing therapy!

So here I am a total "FREAK" to the world....but how does God see me?  When I get in that mode of feeling like that I really need to focus on what God thinks of me...that is who I am to please...not the world, not my family, not my friends, not even the "church"....but God....and if at the end of the day I can say....Today I have done what God has asked me to....then it was a PERFECT day!

2 comments:

Dustine said...

Hello. I'm visiting from the hip homeschool mom site. I too have had a hard time being different, as a homeschool mom. Bottom line though-When God lays something on your heart then you follow and you will be blessed beyond measure. I've had to explain homeschooling, staying home, adopting, having a larger than average family ect so many times. It truly is a blessing to find like minded families.
Anyway, I wish you well as you plan out your homeschool plan for this next year.
~Blessings

Diana Onderick said...

Thank You Dustine :-) The day after I posted this I read in Acts 9...Saul going blind and God calling Ananias to go heal him. It struck me that first of all Ananias questioned God, but he obeyed...and it was MUCH more dangerous that Home Schooling :-) He was in fear of his life...Saul was killing Christians! So I guess it could be worse...God could have called me to do something more dangerous :-)