Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.
Saturday, August 27, 2011

TGIS

Thank Goodness it's Saturday :-)

Well our first full week of school is complete!  I must say it was a super busy day.  With it being Saturday I had a ton to do....besides school! 

I let myself sleep in(8AM), made breakfast, got everyone dressed, did dishes, got the laundry started, started school...in between subjects I worked on laundry, got the floors swept and mopped, made lunch, finished school, finished laundry, made laundry soap, got 2 kids in the tub, did my workout, got 2 kids out of tub, put laundry away, got my shower, started, dinner, finished eating, 1 girl now in the shower, and I am taking a break before I do the dinner dishes!  WHEW!!!

Hopefully we will not need to do school on Saturday's too often ;-)

I did get my clay ordered...supposed to be here on the 6th.  I am hoping to start the clay stuff next week with the clay I have.  I am sure we will get some done before all the other clay comes ;-)

I have to say this week went a lot better than I was expecting.  We were all a tad tired from the routine change( I am sure I was affected the most...COULDN'T be my age) LOL!!!   I am hoping tomorrow will be a true Sabbath!  I am sure we ALL could use a total day of rest ;-)  Although I have trouble just resting...so we will see!

We are also going to be having some new friends over Monday evening for a cookout!  I am super excited!  They were at the home school group picnic...a whole family of adorable red heads :-)  The one little boy took a liking to Logan and she has been asking for 2 days for Joshua to come over to play.  So I finally got their number, called, and invited them all over.  I know how I am so I ASSUMED they would not just drop their kid off at some stranger's house ;-)  So I figured it would be great to have everyone over and get to know them.  They have a daughter Hunter's age, the boy Logan's age, and I think 1 around 5ish...so Cuckles will definitely get along with her...I think they have a total of 5...it could just be 4!  I am super excited though...I LOVE having people over ;-)  So Monday we will have to hurry and get school done and start getting ready!  I am sure I will be posting about that later!

As for our first week....I am pretty pleased so far with my curriculum choices.  I am really not happy with the spelling program for Hunter, so I am going to adjust that.  I know it is one of her dyslexia issues, so she struggles more with spelling.  I also need to figure out some readers for Hunter...the 4th grade readers I got seem a bit too much for her.  Right now I have her reading one of her Candy Fairy books.  She loves them, but it is the last one of the series...so far :-)   I also have her doing some book reports this year, so I need to find extra books for her to read for those :-)

There were also a few odds and ends I didn't have....as I thought I was all prepared :-)  So I had to go out to Wally World and get those this week.  I am hoping Allan will help me later today or tomorrow to get it all put up :-) 

Besides the little stuff it was a VERY successful first week of school!  I am glad I don't have to do it tomorrow, but I am excited for next week...and the whole year!

OH...SUPER EXCITING!  As some of you know Hunter is considered Severe Dyslexic...she struggles a lot with reading, spelling and math.  All summer we worked SOOOO hard on all her math facts...addition, subtraction, and multiplication.  She was supposed to start division this year...but I decided to take her back to the beginning and get her really good on her math facts!  (after all summer of drilling her with flashcards (which I found is horrible for dyslexics) we didn't do them for 1 week and she forgot them ALL)  SOOOO frustrating for me and discouraging for her....she worked SO hard!  So I was going to do an accelerated course on addition, subtraction, and multiplication.  Using of course my math curriculum correctly (as I found I didn't use it correctly the first time).  Well I was a bit discouraged that it was not going as fast as I was hoping...I had it mapped out to do 3 lessons a day to get through all 3 books this school year...but I finally had to talk to myself (yes I do that sometimes) and realize that she really needs to get these math facts down  So I need to give her the time she needs....once it clicks it will go smoother...and if need be we will get through the other book over the summer :-) 

So anyways....she got up to the +2's pretty quickly, then we stalled...she just couldn't grasp it...so I had her watch the DVD of the guy talking, then we did it just like he did.  After 2 days of practicing, she knows her +2's!  SUPER excited...if you knew how much she has been struggling just with the +2's, then seeing her accomplish it and seeing the look of pride in her face...it was WONDERFUL!  I can see that she really gets it too...it clicked...it makes me SOOOO happy and just confirms that I am doing what God wants me to be doing....If you have a kid with a learning disability and have experienced this...I know you know how I am feeling...ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!  Praise God!!!

0 comments: